Mr Mathison’s machine burst into flames and marshals used cement dust to put out the fire as no fire extinguisher was available at the scene.
Coroner Jayne Hughes said she was ‘shocked’ that marshals had to use cement dust to extinguish the blaze, although it was noted that fire was not the cause of his death.
Mrs Hughes recommended that fire extinguishers and signs highlighting where the nearest equipment was available should be visible at marshal points in the future, which the Department for Enterprise and Auto Cycle Union should ‘resolve at any cost’.
The inquest was told that Mr Mathison, a regular at the TT and former podium finisher in the Zero race, was considerably off the racing line moments before he crashed on the third lap of the race, which was the opening event on the 2019 TT schedule.
The coroner recorded a verdict of accident death and added that she was satisfied that no mechanical fault had been found with the 1000cc BMW machine.
She added that his fatal accident was a ‘tragic consequence’ of his decision to compete in the race.
Mrs Hughes also passed on her condolences to Mr Mathison’s wife and family, who appeared via video link for the inquest.
* A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers – and consequently the revenue we receive – we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Irish and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. To subscribe, click here.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.