Isle of Man ENDS social distancing rules to ‘get society back to normal’ after no new deaths on the island for 22 days
- Isle of Man announces it will drop public social distancing rules from Monday
- Chief Minister Howard Quayle said move was to ‘get society back to normal’
- 24 people have died from a total of 336 confirmed coronavirus cases
- A care home that recorded 47 positive cases is now being investigated by police
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
The Isle of Man has announced it will scrap social distancing rules for the public from Monday following a third week of no new coronavirus cases.
At his daily press conference, Chief Minister Howard Quayle said the decision had been taken to ‘get society back to normal’.
24 people have died from coronavirus out of 336 confirmed cases on the island, but there have been no new cases for 22 days.
The Isle of Man’s Chief Minister Howard Quayle has announced social distancing rules for the public will be scrapped from Monday following a third week of no new coronavirus cases
The changes mean that people will no longer be required to stay two metres apart, and businesses and employees can now return to offices and shops without having to implement social distancing measures.
Rules on social distancing would remain in place for those working in health care and elderly care homes, the chief minister added.
The island’s borders will also remain closed to all non-residents until further notice.
Isle of Man public health said ‘local elimination’ of the disease will be achieved next week, if the Island reaches 28 days with no new cases.
24 people have died from coronavirus out of 336 confirmed cases on the island, but there have been no new cases for 22 days
Data from the Isle of Man’s Government shows a large spike in cases up to the week of 16 April before cases quickly plateaued
‘The Isle of Man took decisive action at the start of the crisis, and as a result managed to limit the spread of the Coronavirus,’ said Mr Quayle.
‘We have constantly reviewed restrictions during this time, and as we have had no active cases for over three weeks, the time has come to announce a new set of decisions.
‘We have decided that we are ready to remove any requirement for social distancing from 15th June. We know this is a bold step, but we believe it is the right one at the right time. We know that this will make a real difference to all our lives, and allow our society to come back together and our economy to thrive.
‘Throughout this period we have had a clear and phased plan to lift restrictions, and we will continue to review the situation.’
Mr Quayle added that the 111 helpline will remain in place, and has asked the public to be vigilant for symptoms.
He adds hygiene recommendations will remain in place, like washing your hands regularly.
While deaths on the island have been minimal police are now investigating the circumstances of a Manx care home which saw 20 residents die from coronavirus.
Abbotswood Nursing Home in Ballasalla had its licence suspended amid serious safety concerns after at least 47 residents tested positive for Covid-19.
The government said the force would consider ‘whether potential offences had been committed’.
Abbotswood Nursing Home in Ballasalla (pictured) had its license suspended on April 13. At least 78 residents have tested positive for coronavirus
But its director and chief nurse Zandra Lewis blamed the Government over a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE).
She told Manx Radio: ‘We’ve asked for help from the relevant public health authorities to give us the appropriate PPE to look after the rest of my staff, let alone the residents.
‘And we’ve been given what I would call basic PPE. I’m really upset because any of my staff actually died from this, let alone residents, then I will feel the government has let us down.
The Government added that after Isle of Man constabulary has investigated the care home, contact will be made with those directly involved.