The Laxey Wheel (also known as Lady Isabella) is a large waterwheel built in the village of Laxey in the Isle of Man. Designed by Robert Casement, it has a 72-foot-6-inch (22.1 m) diameter, is 6 feet (1.83 m) wide and revolves at approximately three revolutions per minute. The Laxey Wheel is the largest working waterwheel in the world. It was built in 1854 to pump water from the Glen Mooar part of the ‘Great Laxey Mines’ industrial complex. The wheel was named “Lady Isabella” after the wife of Lieutenant Governor Charles Hope who was the island’s governor at that time.
The 150th anniversary of its construction was celebrated by the people of Laxey with a grand Fayre on Saturday 24 September 2004. It is currently maintained by Manx National Heritage as part of the Great Laxey Wheel & Mines Trail.